The Duravant family of operating companies serve the food processing, packaging and material handling segments.
Safety and Ergonomic Tips
The importance of workplace safety around your operation is paramount. Injuries and workers compensation claims are extremely costly to the operation. Research shows that musculoskeletal injuries are the leading causes of workplace injuries. Conveyors can help reduce that risk by eliminating the need for repetitive lifting and carrying heavy loads. However, if your conveyor is not configured correctly, it may contribute to the onset of these type of injuries. Below are some safety guidelines to follow when working with any of our conveyors to ensure that you and your employees are safe all the time.
- Operators shall receive training by the employer on proper equipment operation of the conveyor.
- Do not exceed the conveyor load capacity as it could result in operator injury or conveyor damage.
- Long hair must be tied back and operators should avoid wearing excessively baggy clothing that could get caught in the system.
- Broken or worn parts must be replaced immediately to ensure the conveyor system remains in safe, proper working condition.
- To extend or contract a flexible conveyor, unlock all locking casters and use the handles located on the legs.
- To move a flexible conveyor to a new location, unlock all locking casters and use the handles located on the legs.
- Lock all locking casters to prevent motion during use once conveyor has been positioned in the desired location.
- Do not place fingers and hands between rows of skates or between side links that make up the scissor action on the sides of the flexible conveyor.
- Always use a dock plate when moving conveyors on casters into and out of the trailer. Always pull the conveyor onto the dock plate from the front, never from the sides.
- Always use genuine FMH Conveyor parts. Our parts are specifically designed for FMH Conveyor equipment to provide optimum performance and safety.
- Frequently clean the conveyor to prevent accumulation of debris or accumulation of material that may cause malfunctions or poor performance.
- Never operate conveyor without all of its components and safety mechanisms.